Two brothers have been arrested for killing their blood brother over their late father’s property.

The Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, Panti, Yaba, Lagos State, arrested the accused: Abdulfatai Osun and Shakiru Osun for killing Yusuf Osun, 25, after the latter refused to append  his signature to an agreement to sell their late father’s house at Satellite Town in Lagos.

According to PM News, the incident happened at their late father’s house at House 3C, Mobil Estate, Satellite Town, Lagos.

The suspects allegedly conspired and strangled Yusuf, who was the eldest, in the night, after which they allegedly used a cutlass to butcher him to ensure he was dead and attempted  to cover up the crime.

It was learnt that not quite long after their father died, the three brothers started fighting over the property he left behind.

While the suspects, Abdulfatai and Shakiru, allegedly wanted the property sold and the money shared, Yusuf, the deceased, was said to be opposed to selling the house.

It was gathered that the two suspects negotiated with a buyer to sell the four-bedroom duplex with boys quarters for N17 million. Part of the conditions it was learnt, was that the three brothers who inherited the property must sign an agreement before payment would be made by the buyer.

Trouble started when the suspects met Yusuf and informed him about their decision and asked him to sign the agreement as the third party.

It was gathered that Yusuf insisted that they should not sell the family property since their mother was still alive.

The decision did not go down well with the suspects who allegedly hatched a plan to eliminate him.

Luck ran out on them after they killed Yusuf when one their neighbours who saw what happened that night, contacted the police at Satellite Town Division. They were arrested and after preliminary investigation, the police transferred the matter to the SCID.

The suspects were taken to Yaba Magistrates’ Court for arraignment on Tuesday but the arraignment was stalled because the courts did not sit on that day.

They were returned to a cell at SCID Panti, to be arraigned on a later date.



Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here