A teenage girl’s life was almost cut short in Ede in Osun State after a brother to her primary school friend raped her and attacked her with a machete inside a bush where she had gone to pluck mangoes.

The victim, Bilikisu Muraina (pictured in hospital bed) was unconscious in the bush for a day due to serious injury the machete cut inflicted on her until she was found by two passers-by who traced her house.

Admitted to Ladoke Akintola University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo where she presently occupies a bed at the emergency unit, the 15-year- old girl gave the name of her assailant as Tunde. She added that he is a brother of her friend in primary.

Sources revealed that Bilikisu’s father died some years back while her mother remarried and now lives in Lagos with her husband. It was also said that Bilikisu lives with her grandparents, and aunt, Rukayat Muraina.

Her aunt, Rukayat said the incident occurred last Wednesday.

According to her: “We looked for her but could not see her in the night around 11:00p.m. We went back home to sleep, but we didn’t tell her grandfather that we could not see her.

“The following day, we continued the search. But, when we were about to go out, two guys came to our house and told us a lady was lying down along Abeere, named Bilikisu of Ile Adodo in Ede.

“We told them that we had been looking for her and followed them to the place with her grandfather. When we got there, we saw her in the bush with several wounds. She couldn’t talk. So, we took her to one hospital in Ede, where we were referred to the Muslim Hospital at Oke Gada, also in Ede. From there, we were also directed to bring her to LAUTECH.

“From what she told us, she said she went to pluck mangoes and that on her way back, she met a man who asked for mangoes from her. And as she wanted to give them to him, the man said he did not want mangoes anymore but that Bilikisu should remove her trousers. But when she told the guy that she wouldn’t do that, he threatened to attack her with a cutlass if she insisted on not removing it (pair of trousers).”

According to Miss Muraina, the man then began to strangle Bilikisu and later inflicted wounds on her with the cutlass until she could not talk anymore.

“When the guy noticed that a motorcycle was approaching, he dragged Bilikisu into the bush and ran away. That was all she could remember. Bilikisu was unconscious till yesterday morning. When we asked her this morning about the guy that inflicted the injuries on her, she said she could recognise him, and that he was a brother to her primary school friend, who has now gone to Lagos. She gave the name of the guy as Tunde,” Muraina said.


Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here