A man was arrested after the family of his wife accused him of using a charm on his wife, and killed her in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

Police said Mr. Ismaila Alabi, 47, is suspected of using charm to beat his wife and mother of eight, Mrs. Basirat Alabi, 43, during a heated argument, which led to the death of the latter on Tuesday, May 20.

“The only thing I can tell you, is that the case, which was reported by the family of the deceased will be transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Iyaganku, for further investigations,” police image maker in Oyo State, Olabisi Okuwobi-Ilobanafor, a Superintendent of Police who confirmed the story explained.

Investigations revealed that the suspect had rancour with his wife three days before her death on the issue of phone. Alabi reportedly seized his wife’s phone after suspecting her of receiving calls from strange men.

The mother of eight (she had seven for her husband and had one before marrying him) was said to have left home for her mother’s house at Apete area of Ibadan. Though the nature of her illness was not disclosed, all efforts to restore her back to normal health proved abortive.

Before her death however, the woman reportedly opened up to her mother that her husband beat her with a charm, pleading that he should forgive her. It was after this she gave up the ghost. Based on this, family members of the deceased believed that the man beat his wife with charms, hence her death.

It was learnt that the suspect was immediately arrested while the corpse was taken to State Hospital, Ring Road and deposited in the mortuary for autopsy.

But the suspect denied the allegation, saying that he did not beat his wife, not to talk of hitting her with a charm. He placed a curse on himself that he should die mysteriously if he was responsible for wife’s death. He also said he was ready to go along with the family on any step they might want to take traditionally to find the cause of his wife’s death.

According to Alabi, “On Friday, May 16, my wife came to me around 9.30a.m. and told she was going to her sister’s place at Apete area. She asked for the N700 she borrowed me to give our children, saying she wanted to use it as transport fare, but I replied that I had no money with me. I even collected her bag in which I saw money and jokingly told her that I knew she had money but just wanted the one she spent on my behalf.

“She did not come back that day but it was nothing unusual, as she used to go like that and would spend three to five days before returning home. On Sunday, May 18, her sister at Apete, known as Ruka, called my stepdaughter, Tawa, who is my wife’s first child for another man before she married me. Ruka asked the girl to come to Apete.

“On Monday morning, I asked the girl if she saw her mother but she said she did not, informing me that she was told that her mother fell ill but the ailment was not disclosed. She said her aunty asked her to come back the following day so that she would be taken to the hospital where her mother was.

The man also admitted that he collected his wife’s phone on the day she was leaving for her sister’s place because of the strange calls she used to receive while she would not pick his own call if he called her.

“I had earlier pointed this to her and she promised not to use the phone again. When she was leaving on that Friday, I saw the phone with her and demanded to know why she was still using it against her promise. She dropped the phone with me and left. We did not fight over the issue,” Alabi said.

Commenting on the rumour that he must have beaten his wife with charm because of her suspected waywardness, Alabi said that though he knew that his wife engaged in extra-marital affairs, he did not do her any harm.

Ajibola Olalekan, a brother to the deceased said his sister was not sick before her death but started growing weak after leaving home on Friday. “My sister’s daughter, Tawa, told the family that her mother left home that day to go to a room she rented at Gbopa area of Ibadan. When our mother learnt of her condition, she called Ismaila about 16 times but he did not pick her calls.”

Gain Control Over Your School


Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here