The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has said that the $5.2 fine it imposed on MTN is reduced to $3.9bn and not $3.4bn, which it earlier communicated to the telecommunication giant.
The original sanction was imposed on MTN in October for failing to cut off unregistered users.
NCC initially said the $5.2bn fine had been reduced to $3.4bn. But its spokesman Tony Ojobo says the correct amount is $3.9bn (£2.5bn), adding that telecom regulator made a $500m (£330m) typing error when announcing the reduction.
“There was a typo. The reduction should have been 25%,” Mr Ojobo told the Bloomberg news agency.
“We saw the mistake and had to fix it.”
The amount has to be paid by December 31.