The deaths of two public primary school pupils in Ogun allegedly from deworming drug has drawn the reaction of the state government.
The deceased, who were females aged 8 and 9, were pupils of Saint James African Church Nursery and Primary School, Idi – Ape, Abeokuta.
They died in the early hours of Wednesday after the ongoing deworming targeted at 700,000 children embarked upon by the state government was administered on them on Tuesday at school.
Leading up to their demise, report said the duo, who lived in the same neighbourhood at Ademola Street, opposite African Church, Idi Ape, were vomiting and stooling.
Suggestion that they died of deworming drug has however been rubbished by the state government after visiting the bereaved families.
Instead, the government delegation led by the Director of Public Health in the State Ministry of Health, Dr Festus Soyinka are pointing accusing fingers at the well where the deceased pupils resided saying the water from it was poisonous.
“The two children concerned are living in the same compound and no other person from the same school, about 235 students were given the same drugs yesterday (Tuesday) and no other person reported any challenges with taking the drugs. But for you to find two children in the same location, we should look for something else which could be transmittable and that could be infectious, that is why we are trying to look for the cause of the death.
“With what we have done, we have confirmed that with the child that has not been buried, we have discovered sunken eyeballs, dried skin and lost of turgidity which shoes loss of water,” Soyinka told newsmen.