Plateau killings: Protesters dump dead bodies at Govt House gates

0
146
Gov Lalong

Jos, the Plateau State capital was on Wednesday enveloped in protest as youths protesting the killings of 36 persons dumped some of the bodies at the Government House’s gates.

The victims were murdered in cold blood in the early hours of Tuesday at Yelwa Zangam community in the Jos North Local Government Area of the state by suspected Fulani militiamen.

The assailants also set houses ablaze including their victims.

The youths took to Jos streets in protest of the gruesome murders storming hospitals including the Plateau State Specialist Hospital where they seized fifteen bodies of the victims and loaded them in a truck.

From there, they moved from place to place including the State House Assembly hurling curses on the authorities not exempting Governor Simon Lalong and went on to destroy a billboard that had his picture with the inscription, Peace, Unity and Progress at the roundabout in front of the Little Rayfield Government House.

The protesters headed to the Government House but a roadblock mounted by security operatives stood in their way as they were dispersed with teargas.

However, they succeeded in dumping the corpses at the two gates of the Government House.

In a related development, the 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on the council area alongside Jos South and Bassa by the governor was relaxed last week from dusk to dawn.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Governor’s Director of Press and Public Affairs, Government House, Macham Makut, said the decision to re-impose the curfew, which began by 4pm on Wednesday, followed imminent threat to lives and property in the area.

The statement said, “The Plateau State Government has reinstated the 24-hour curfew earlier relaxed in the Jos North Local Government Area following growing tension arising from the attack on Yelwa Zangam village of the local government, where people were killed and properties destroyed.

“According to Governor Simon Lalong, the 24-hour curfew will come into force from 4pm today, Wednesday, August 25, 2021, until further notice.

“The proactive decision became necessary following imminent threat to lives and property within the local government area and the need to forestall the breakdown of law and order. It will also enable security agencies to deploy appropriately to maintain security as the search for the attackers of the villagers continues.”

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here