Resume or Resign protest clash: Charly Boy sues police, demands N500m

902, Resume or Resign protest

Activist and entertainer, Charles Oputa better known as Charly Boy, has slammed a lawsuit on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command over alleged rights violation during the Resume or Resign protest.

Read also: Charly Boy beaten, his car damaged by mob at Wuse Market

In the suit filed before the FCT High Court Maitama, Abuja, the complaint is demanding N500m compensation from the police as general damages to him for the violation of his fundamental rights to dignity of the human person, freedom of expression, peaceful assembly and association.

He is praying the court to determine “whether the use of teargas canisters, water cannon and wild police dogs by the agents and officers of the Respondent to attack, harass and disperse members of the OurMumuDonDo movement and Concerned Nigerians group during a peaceful demonstration at the Unity Fountain in Maitama, Abuja is not unjustifiable, illegal, unconstitutional and a breach of the Applicant’s fundamental rights to the dignity of the human person, freedom of expression, peaceful assembly and association and contrary to Sections 34, 39 and 40 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) and Articles 5, 9, 10 and 11 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act, Cap. A9, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.”

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here