A Nigerian born doctor working in the UK is currently facing disciplinary action from Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service in Manchester after he was caught on five different occasions sleeping at work.

Dr. Chinedu Bosah(pictured) who works at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough apart from sleeping regularly at work is also facing disciplinary action for professional incompetence, Daily Mail reports.

The British tabloid reported that Dr. Bosah fell asleep during a meeting held to discuss the death of a youngster in a children’s hospital ward and was also caught napping three times in one night shift.

The 39 year-old faces disciplinary action after apparently falling asleep on five occasions while working at the hospital.

The second year junior doctor also faces questions about his performance after shocked colleagues reported his alleged lack of ‘basic medical knowledge’, the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service heard.

The tribunal heard yesterday how Dr Bosah first fell asleep at work between September 2012 and December 2012 and was caught nodding off in various places in the children’s unit including the seminar room and the parents’ room.

He is also accused of falling asleep in a meeting with a panel of medics as they held a debrief about the treatment of a child who died while on the paediatric unit.

On one occasion when confronted, he claimed that he was tired because he had been ‘studying for exams’ but was found sleeping on the job again within a week and fell asleep three times during a night shift on December 22, 2012 it was claimed.

Dr Bosah, who was training in paediatrics, also took unauthorised breaks and days off work and was often difficult to contact, the tribunal heard.

He allegedly shocked senior doctors with his lack of medical knowledge – on one occasion offering to send a baby suffering with jaundice home when it was clear the infant required treatment.

On another occasion, he left a medical student to administer oxygen to a newborn baby, even though it required a special ‘technique’ not taught to students.

Dr Bosah was called into various meetings about his performance and was offered help with his e-portfolio – a case file he had to complete as part of his training plan as required by medical and health care organisations.

However, he refused help from senior colleagues telling them he was ‘doing well with it’.

He later failed a number of Royal College of Paediatric and Child Health exams and was sacked from the training programme in February last year.

He admitted a catalogue of failings during his training but denies charges of ordering incorrect blood tests for patients and refutes claims his basic medical knowledge was inadequate for a doctor of his experience.

Gain Control Over Your School

Between September 2012 and July 2013, Dr Bosah also attended training programmes on a ‘rotation’ at the University Hospital of North Durham and another hospital in the north east of England.

Representing the General Medical Council, Robin Kitching said: ‘Things didn’t go well from the outset of that rotation.

‘It’s fair to say the discipline of paediatrics was not something Dr Bosah was suited to and that played a part in his poor performance during the relevant period. But his problems weren’t just restricted to paediatrics, the issues were more wide-ranging than that.

‘He seemed to be blind to the fact things were going as badly as they were despite all the meetings that took place. For someone struggling as badly as him, he failed to appreciate he was in real difficulty and the problems were not being resolved.

‘Every training course will have doctors who struggle and the nature of the courses is to identify doctors who are struggling and to offer them help to ensure they improve. These are issues which ought to be ironed out at a local stage. Despite best efforts, he was simply unable to improve his performance.’

Mr. Kitching also said highlighted the meeting about a child’s death in which Dr Bosah fell asleep.

He told the tribunal: ‘The nature of the meeting is a review held in the wake of the death of a child.

‘There is no suggestion Dr Bosah played any particular role in the care of the child and no suggestion he or anyone else failed to treat the child appropriately, but these are important departmental meetings.

‘Dr Jonathan Wylie noticed he had fallen asleep during the meeting and spoke to him about his behaviour. Dr Bosah said he had been studying for exams, which is something all trainees have to do.

‘He also fell asleep three times during one overnight shift. This was behaviour reported to Dr Wylie by another witness, Mrs Sarah Brooks, a senior nurse often in charge of the neo-natal unit.DR. CHINEDU

‘While in charge she found Dr Bosah asleep on various occasions during the same shift. She was concerned and asked if anything was wrong that made him not sleep through the day.

‘She was worried why he was sleeping so much she reported it to the consultant. He had slept in various places on the unit including the seminar room and the parents’ room. It was pointed out to him at the time that this was inappropriate.’

Mr Kitching also told the tribunal how Dr Bosah left a newborn baby in the care of a medical student while he contacted his supervisor during a shift on November 9, 2012.

He said: ‘He left a student to administer positive and expiratory pressure. It is admitted by the doctor and demonstrates poor judgement and a lack of knowledge or skill on the part of the doctor.

‘He admitted it at the time and acknowledged he ought not to have left a baby with a medical student.

‘He went to contact his supervisor and that suggests he didn’t know the process involved more than merely holding the mask on the face. It is particularly technical.’

Dr Bosah is also accused of not knowing how to administer pressurised air to twins born at 29 weeks gestation.

The tribunal also heard how he was required to attend at least 70 per cent of teaching sessions but attended none of a possible seven.

Dr Bosah has admitted not responding to the efforts of the Trainee Support Services to assist him following a referral in June 2013, where he declined to attend a problem solving workshop, declined to attend Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and declined help with his e-portfolio.

He has admitted taking unauthorised absences from work on July 17, 2013 and November 27, 28 and 29 of the same year and accepts he failed the first part of his Royal College of Paediatric and Child Health exams on six separate occasions.

However, he denies that he failed to perform as a trainee because he was unable to carry out baby checks in a reasonable amount of time, was unable to formulate adequate management plans for the complex patients, his patient handovers were inadequate and the information he provided to colleagues about patients was sometimes contradictory.

The tribunal continues.

Culled from Daily Mail

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here