A female tailor and two of her apprentices have been arrested in Ibadan after they allegedly stabbed to death an apprentice to a barber in a neighbourhood shop over a missing memory card.

21-year-old Akinsola Jelilat, and two apprentices under her, Oladipupo Sukurat and Mukaila Kehinde both 19-year-old (all pictured) are in police detention at State Criminal Investigation Department of Oyo State Police Command following their role in the death of an apprentice to a barber, Rilwan Akinropo, 25.

Their short journey to detention started in October when one of them went to charge her phone in the barbing salon where the deceased worked and her phone’s memory card was stolen.

The 25-year-old was accused of stealing the memory card, and it strained their relationship.

Tempers flared on Tuesday, November 11,when the deceased and his younger brother stormed Jelilat’s shop to attack his accusers. In the ensuing melee, it was said that Rilwan was stabbed with a scissors.

He died four days after he was stabbed.

However, all the three suspects denied pulling the trigger.

Narrating how it all started, Jelilat said: “I was in shop when the younger brother of the deceased came to me and asked whether I knew him. I replied that I didn’t and would not want to know him. At that point, one of my apprentices, Kehinde, came from where she went to buy food and enquired on what was happening.

“Before we knew it, the brother slapped her. A fight ensued and as I was trying to separate them, the deceased came and started fighting with another apprentice called Sukurat. I went to separate them but Rilwan dragged me with the hijab I wore.

“I was taken from his grip and put in a shop. It was from there I heard that Sukurat had been stabbed with scissors. I didn’t know when Rilwan was stabbed. Kehinde only came to tell me that we should go to Kobolese police post nearby to report what happened.”

One of the apprentices, Kehinde Mukaila (19), also denied knowledge of how Rilwan sustained injuries.

Sukurat also claimed that she did not stab the deceased and that on the contrary, he was the one who stabbed her on the neck, the wound of which is yet to heal completely.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer in Oyo State, Olabisi Okuwobi-Ilobanafor, confirmed the story, saying that investigations were still ongoing.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here