It has emerged that the death of 200-level undergraduate of University of Ibadan, Mayowa Alaran(pictured) who died while watching the first-leg match between Barcelona and Bayern Munich was owing to exhaustion.

The Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Isaac Adewole relayed this information to journalists on Wednesday after receiving the report of the investigative committee set up by the university to investigate the circumstances surrounding Alaran’s death.

Prof. Adewole said Alaran spent his last moment which occurred last Wednesday getting involved in a whole lot of activities.

He said: “He carried out his normal activities earlier on Wednesday, May 6.

“Very early in the day, he attended the gymnastics practical with other students in his department from 7–9am.

“He later attended the induction programme organised for fresh students in his department.

“He attempted to participate in a football match between his Department of Health Education and Human Kinetics and the Department of Library and Archival Studies (LARIS) in the afternoon, but could not due to the fact that he did not train with the team.

“He, thereafter, returned to the faculty to attend a GES class that held from 4 – 6pm.

“It was from here that he returned to Independence Hall to watch the football match between Barcelona and Bayern Munich in the Junior Common Room (JCR). The match started at 7.45 pm.

“A generator was used to supply electricity to JCR. The generator was placed about 50 meters away from the room.

“Alaran sat in the front row and was facing a non-rotating standing fan.

“Thirty minutes into the match, a student sitting next to him observed that he had slumped and was motionless.

“The concerned student promptly carried him for resuscitation with the assistance of some medical students, who performed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

“The concerned student made a call to the University Health Centre requesting for an ambulance.

“After waiting for about 8 -10 minutes, the student arranged for a private vehicle to convey him to the University Health Centre.

Gain Control Over Your School

“On the way, at Lander Roundabout, the vehicle conveying the student met the ambulance, which was sent to bring him by the nurse-on-duty.

“It should be noted that though, there was only one ambulance on duty that night, the case was promptly attended to with appropriate priority.

“Two patients (staff dependants – one with a ruptured appendix and the other with femoral fracture) who were being taken to a private hospital – Molly Hospital, in the same ambulance, were disembarked to allow the ambulance pick Alaran from Independence Hall.

“At the time of moving him into the University Health Centre, he showed no vital signs.

“The nurse-on-duty promptly attended to him and observed that vital signs were absent and continued resuscitation efforts.

“The doctor-on-call joined in the resuscitation efforts, despite the absence of vital signs and later certified him dead.

“After the certification of the death and in order to manage the growing tension and anxiety among the students, they were asked to go back to his room and look for any available information they could gather.

“This was a diversionary ploy to reduce the already growing population of students around the clinic.”

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here