Gunfire erupted in the heart of Osogbo, Osun State, on Wednesday after suspected hoodlums opened fire on the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The attack sparked a fierce exchange of gunfire between the suspected attackers and security personnel attached to the governor’s convoy, sending traders, residents and other people in the area scrambling for safety.
The incident occurred hours after Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.
INEC had fixed the Osun governorship election for August 15, 2026.
Adeleke reportedly arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15pm in a motorcade of roughly 20 vehicles after leaving the INEC office in Osogbo.
He had gone to pay a courtesy visit to the traditional ruler and reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.
According to eyewitness accounts, the situation became tense shortly after the palace meeting ended and prayers had been offered.
The governor had reportedly exited the hall through a route normally used by the monarch and his wives and was already inside a vehicle with some close aides when heavy gunfire suddenly broke out.
Sources said the suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Toyota Sienna through the Ita Olokan axis and opened fire around the palace.
The gun battle reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, with the governor’s security personnel returning fire and eventually forcing the attackers to retreat.
A trader in the area, identified as Munirat, said the attackers appeared to have known in advance that Adeleke would be visiting the palace.
She alleged that they fired towards the palace gate and damaged part of the entrance before security operatives pushed them back.
The violence reportedly spread towards the vicinity of the Osogbo Central Mosque before the attackers escaped in the direction of Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
The sudden shooting triggered chaos around the palace and adjoining streets, with traders abandoning their shops and residents rushing for cover.
By about 4:45pm, sporadic gunshots were still reportedly being heard around parts of the area, while several businesses remained shut as residents stayed indoors.
Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed that the governor’s convoy had come under attack.
He said the assailants were suspected hoodlums and that the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled them. He also said there was no reported casualty from the incident.
The attack came against the backdrop of heightened political tension in Osun following the August 15 governorship election, which saw Adeleke secure another term in office.
Adeleke was declared winner after polling 511,067 votes, defeating the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes, according to results reported after the election.
The governor had earlier warned during the election campaign about threats and violence in the state, while the Nigeria Police Force had announced heightened security preparations ahead of the Osun poll.
The Force said in July that the Osun Commissioner of Police and neighbouring commands had been directed to strengthen security ahead of the election.
The latest shooting has therefore raised fresh concerns about security in Osun, coming just days after the governorship election and on a day Adeleke was formally presented with his Certificate of Return.
Don’t Miss Out! Join our WhatsApp Channel for instant news updates. Click here to join
ALSO READ:
Osun Poll: Davido Drops Bombshell On Akpabio, Dangote Calls And N110bn Claim
Osun Election Bombshell: Wike Reveals What Tinubu Could Have Done To Stop Adeleke















