Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has defended his call for the United Nations and the international community to investigate the shocking abduction and rescue of teachers and pupils from three schools in Oriire Local Government Area, insisting he was not questioning the efforts of Nigeria’s security agencies.

Instead, Makinde said he wanted the truth uncovered so the state could learn from the tragedy and stop such a horrifying incident from happening again.

The governor made the clarification on Friday while inaugurating an eight-member Judicial Commission of Inquiry at the Executive Chamber of the Governor’s Office, Agodi Secretariat, Ibadan.

The panel will investigate the circumstances surrounding the kidnapping of teachers and pupils in the Esiele and Yawota communities and has been given one month to submit its report, with room for an extension if necessary.

In an emotional moment, Makinde revealed that the tragedy hit close to home, recalling that his father taught in Ahoro Dada in 1959.

“If my father had been kidnapped and beheaded back then, I never would have been born,” he said.

He explained that this personal reflection inspired his call for an independent international examination of the incident.

“My call was never about diminishing the efforts of our security agencies, whose sacrifices we acknowledge and appreciate. It was about ensuring that every lesson is learned and every question that deserves an answer is answered,” the governor said.

Although thankful that the victims returned safely, Makinde stressed that the rescue alone was not enough.

According to him, the kidnapping was an attack on every Nigerian child’s right to learn in safety and every parent’s confidence in sending their children to school.

“Rescue brings relief, but truth brings closure,” he declared, adding that the inquiry would uncover the facts, expose any operational failures, recommend reforms and strengthen the protection of schools and communities.

Makinde also praised members of the commission for accepting the assignment despite the political climate.

He urged them to remain impartial and allow only the evidence, the law and the public interest to guide their work.

The governor assured the panel of the government’s full support and appealed to individuals, institutions and relevant agencies to cooperate by providing information that would help uncover the truth.

He formally inaugurated the commission and wished its members success in carrying out what he described as a critical assignment.

Gain Control Over Your School

Speaking after the inauguration, the chairman of the panel, retired Court of Appeal Justice Professor Mojeed Owoade, assured Nigerians that the commission would uncover “nothing but the truth.”

Owoade said the panel was made up of experienced and credible individuals committed to a transparent investigation.

He added that if the one-month deadline proved insufficient, the commission would not hesitate to seek more time to complete a thorough job.

Read Also:

PDP WAR DEEPENS AS FACTION HANDS IN JONATHAN’S FORMS TO INEC

‘I DON’T BEG!’ Remi Tinubu Reveals God’s Order