Governor Ademola Adeleke has described President Bola Tinubu as a “son of Osun” following his victory in Saturday’s governorship election, a remark that could revive the long-running controversy over the President’s claimed state of origin.
Adeleke, who defeated the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, to secure a second term, made the declaration while extending an olive branch to his political opponents and endorsing Tinubu’s bid for another term in 2027.
“Mr President is a son of Osun State, and I hereby reaffirm my earlier endorsement of him for a second term in the 2027 presidential election,” Adeleke said.
The governor’s description of Tinubu as a son of Osun is notable against the backdrop of years of controversy over the President’s roots and place of origin.
Tinubu has publicly been associated with Lagos, where he served as governor between 1999 and 2007.
However, claims have repeatedly circulated that he is originally from Iragbiji in present-day Boripe Local Government Area of Osun State.
The claims have been disputed by Tinubu’s supporters, with the APC previously dismissing allegations that he was born in Iragbiji as accusations propagated by political opponents.
The controversy has nevertheless persisted for years, with prominent Nigerians and media reports repeatedly raising questions about Tinubu’s ancestry and identity.
Former PDP chieftain Bode George, for instance, publicly claimed in 2023 that Tinubu was from Iragbiji, Osun State, rather than Lagos.
Against that backdrop, Adeleke’s description of the President as a “son of Osun” could add a fresh political dimension to the debate, coming from the governor of the state where Iragbiji is located.
Adeleke Extends Olive Branch
Adeleke, who was declared winner by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Sunday, called for peace and reconciliation after a fiercely contested election that was preceded by weeks of political tension and reported violence.
The governor polled 511,067 votes to defeat Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes.
Adeleke won 19 of Osun’s 30 local government areas, while the APC candidate secured victory in the remaining 11.
Speaking after his victory, Adeleke declared that there would be no victor or vanquished, urging his opponents and supporters to put the bitter campaign behind them.
“In this race, there is no victor, no vanquished. I extend an olive branch to my co-contestants. I am the Governor of all Osun people,” he said.
He promised to build on his achievements, correct his shortcomings and pursue his renewed five-point agenda during his second term.
The governor also appealed to community leaders and traditional rulers to take the lead in restoring peace across the state, particularly in communities affected by pre-election violence.
He called on residents to forgive one another and avoid retaliatory attacks.
While observing a minute’s silence for victims of the violence recorded during the election period, Adeleke said the political contest was now over and urged Osun residents to return to communal harmony.
Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke
President Tinubu had earlier congratulated Adeleke on his victory, saying the result reflected the confidence Osun voters had in the governor.
Tinubu said he personally called Adeleke after INEC declared the result and urged him to use his second term to unite the people of the state irrespective of their political affiliations.
The President also commended Oyebamiji and other contestants for their participation, while praising INEC and security agencies for what he described as a peaceful and transparent election.
Adeleke, in turn, praised Tinubu for supporting a credible and peaceful election before making his reference to the President as a “son of Osun.”
The governor also reaffirmed his support for Tinubu’s 2027 re-election bid, signalling that despite their different political platforms, he intends to maintain his endorsement of the President.
APC Weighs Legal Option
While Adeleke was calling for reconciliation, the APC was reportedly weighing its options over the outcome of the election.
Oyebamiji had mounted a strong challenge against the incumbent, but fell 66,252 votes short of Adeleke in the final tally.
The APC’s next move could determine whether the election dispute ends with INEC’s declaration or moves into the courts, as the party considers whether there are grounds to challenge the result.
Don’t Miss Out! Join our WhatsApp Channel for instant news updates. Click here to join
ALSO READ:
Adeleke Thanks Tinubu, Challenges Oyebamiji To Accept Defeat
TINUBU TEARS NLC APART! Labour Crisis Erupts Over Pro-2027 Support Group















