Management of Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK), Awka, Anambra State, has condemned the alleged physical attack on a lecturer following accusations of attempted sexual misconduct involving a female student.

The lecturer, whose identity was not disclosed, is reportedly from the Department of Chinese Studies, Faculty of Arts.

Videos showing the incident, which allegedly occurred within the university premises on August 15, have gone viral on social media, prompting the institution to launch an investigation.

In a statement issued by its Director of Information and Public Relations, Aloysius Attah, the university described the incident as disturbing and rejected the use of violence or jungle justice in dealing with allegations of misconduct.

The management said while it maintained a strict position against sexual harassment and other inappropriate behaviour, allegations must be investigated through established procedures rather than settled through physical attacks.

According to the university, Vice-Chancellor Prof. Ugochukwu Anyaehie has repeatedly reaffirmed UNIZIK’s zero-tolerance policy towards sexual misconduct, harassment and other forms of inappropriate behaviour.

However, management stressed that no individual or group had the right to take the law into their own hands within the university community.

The university has consequently ordered an immediate, comprehensive and impartial investigation to establish exactly what happened and determine the circumstances surrounding the alleged misconduct and subsequent assault.

It said appropriate administrative procedures had already been activated, with a commitment to ensure that justice was served fairly and objectively to all parties.

UNIZIK also reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the safety, dignity and welfare of both students and staff, promising decisive action against any conduct found to violate those principles.

The university said further updates would be made public as the investigation progresses.

Gain Control Over Your School