A three-year-old girl has died twice in Philippines after she came back from the dead during her first funeral on Sunday before she eventually joined her ancestors some moments later.

The tiny child from Zamboanga del Sur in southern Philippines ‘died’ on Friday and her family arranged a funeral.

But during the Mass a relative heard movement and lifted the lid of the coffin and saw the youngster’s head move.

Her father immediately grabbed his daughter from the coffin and gave her a cuddle. However, the story does not have a happy ending and the child has now been pronounced dead again.

Doctors at the Municipal Health Officer used a cardiac monitor to assess the condition of the girl yesterday but found no signs of life and confirmed that the child is dead again. The parents advised to bury her as soon as possible to prevent diseases.

Footage of the amazing moment was captured by a mourner on a camera phone and uploaded onto the internet.  Young Filipino Girl Wakes Up At Her Own Funeral

A video posted online captured the commotion when her family discovered she was alive during the first funeral, despite being declared dead in hospital the day before.

One of her parents’ neighbours reportedly removed the lid of her coffin to arrange the body on Sunday and noticed the girl’s head move.

The toddler was quickly lifted out of the coffin, appearing weak but breathing, and wrapped in a  shawl as amazed mourners gathered around to see.

She was then carried out of the church in Aurora, Zamboanga del Sur, in the Philippines.

Inspector Heidil Teelan, the local police chief, told the Philippines Star the girl had been suffering from a severe fever for days and was taken into hospital on Friday.

“The attending clinic personnel and physician confirmed that the young patient had no more pulse and was clinically dead last Saturday morning about 9am,” he added.

“We really cannot make confirmation on the status of the girl but based on the observation of the police personnel I deployed it appeared the girl remained in a state of comatose in their house.”

The toddler was allowed to return home after being checked over at hospital and nurses have been sent to the family home to monitor her treatment.

Several people have woken up at their own funerals in recent years, prompting fears that premature burial may not have been consigned to history by medical improvements.

Gain Control Over Your School

In March, 79-year-old Walter Williams woke up in a body bag just before he was to be embalmed in the US.

Doctors had checked his pulse and found no heartbeat but an undertaker later said the confusion may have been caused by his pacemaker turning off.

In Egypt in 2012, a waiter turned his funeral into a celebration after a doctor signing his death certificate realised he was still alive.

The 28-year-old’s body had been washed and prepared for burial after he suffered a heart attack at work.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day. Stay informed with the Orijo Reporter's leading coverage of Nigerian and world news.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here