The Edo State Government has denied reports that Nigerian music superstar David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has been banned from entering or performing in the state.
The controversy erupted after Apostle Kassy Chukwu, Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media to Governor Monday Okpebholo, declared that Davido should not expect to perform in Edo for the rest of the governor’s tenure.
Chukwu made the claim in a video shared on YouTube by Peniel TV International, Benin City, on Thursday.
The declaration came amid the growing political spat between Davido and Governor Okpebholo following the governor’s criticism of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, who is Davido’s uncle, ahead of the August 15 governorship election.
Davido had earlier posted what appeared to be Okpebholo’s WAEC result on his Instagram Story and later defended the action during an interview, insisting that he had nothing to apologise for.
Apparently angered by Davido’s position, Chukwu announced that the singer was no longer welcome in Edo.
“You have been banned from coming to Edo State to perform. We don’t want to see you in Edo again,” he said.
He accused the music star of making disrespectful comments about the governor and his family and insisted that Davido would not be allowed to perform in the state throughout the remainder of Okpebholo’s administration.
But the Edo State Government has now dramatically distanced itself from the declaration.
Reacting on Friday, Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Kassim Afegbua, described the purported ban as fake and said the government had nothing to do with it.
“Our enemies are at it again; we did not ban Davido from entering Edo State. The proclaimer of that ban is an enemy of Edo State; an impostor, and a fraud,” Afegbua said.
The commissioner stressed that Edo remained open to everyone, irrespective of political affiliation, beliefs or background.
He added that the state would even be willing to partner with Davido if the singer decides to stage a performance there in the future.
Afegbua further described Davido as one of Edo’s “illustrious sons”, noting that the singer’s mother hails from the state.
He said the governor was comfortable associating with people across political and social divides and would be happy to welcome Davido to Edo.
According to him, whatever disagreement arose between Davido and Okpebholo over the Osun election was political and should not be allowed to become personal.
The commissioner also praised Davido’s achievements in the Nigerian and international music scenes, describing him as one of the country’s major global ambassadors.
Afegbua said the government was proud of the singer’s accomplishments and even expressed hope that Davido would eventually add a Grammy award to his list of achievements.
The latest development effectively puts the alleged Edo ban in doubt, with the state government insisting that Davido remains welcome despite the heated political exchange.
Don’t Miss Out! Join our WhatsApp Channel for instant news updates. Click here to join
ALSO READ:
Davido replies Edo Governor with WAEC result over Adeleke’s dance comment















